Invitation is a short message or request to invite the relatives, friends, acquaintances, officials and business relations.
Types : 1. Formal 2. Informal
Formal Invitation : 1. Card form (printed) 2. Letter form (hand written)
Occasion : birthday, wedding, house warming, inauguration of office/shop, annual function of school, etc.
Marking Scheme : Format + Content – 2 Accuracy + Expression – 2 Total – 4 m.
(class 11 & 12)
Points to remember :
1. It is written in one single sentence (card form)
2. Name of invitee is not included/important (supposed to be on envelope)
3. The matter should be centre aligned.
4. Simple present tense should be used.
5. It is written in third person.
6. Word limit is 50 words.
7. It should be put in box.
8. It should include the name of VIP prominently.
9. The matter/message should be brief and precise.
10. Only important details should be included.
11. No punctuation is put at the break of line.
Format of Invitation (details to be included)
1. Name/designation of host
3. Date, time and place (venue) of the occasion
4. Mention of special guest/VIP/programme (when required)
5. RSVP (Réspondez s’il vous plaît)
6. Address and contact number of organiser
7. Put it in box.
Standard expressions of invitation
1. seek the pleasure of your company
2. cordially invite you
3. invite your gracious presence
4. solicit your graceful presence
5. request the pleasure of your benign presence
Samples of formal invitation
Q1. You are son of Mr. Swaroop Singh of Saket Vihar, New Delhi. Your sister is getting married. Draft a formal invitation on his behalf to be sent on the occasion. Invent the necessary details. Do not exceed 50 words.
Q2. Vatika Ethnic Handicrafts is holding Handicrafts Mela in New Delhi. Draft a formal invitation to be sent on the occasion of its inaugural ceremony inventing all the necessary details in not more than 50 words.
Q3. You are the Director of Apex Coaching Institute, a leading name in coaching for competitive examinations including IIT-JEE. Write letters to the Principals of some prestigious schools inviting the names of two brilliant students from each school to attend their free of cost counselling session.
Q4. You are the secretary of Alumni Association of Shri Krishna College, Lucknow. 25th Alumni Meet will be held at Palace Hotel, Lucknow. Write an invitation letter to the old students of the school to attend the meet.
Q5. You are Siddhartha Rao, Secretary of Sports Club of DPS, Ghaziabad. Your school is organising Annual Sports Meet. Write a letter inviting Mr. Yogender Singh, boxing champion to inaugurate the Sports Meet.
Reply to the invitation
Acknowledge and thank for invitation/express the pleasure
Confirm the arrival / refuse it stating the reason
Apologise if you refuse
Designation (if required)
Q1. You are Ranjan Rana. You have been invited to be the judge at an Inter School Debate Contest on 19 December 2018 by the Principal of Manohar senior secondary School, New Delhi. Write a formal reply accepting the invitation.